However, there are some things you need to consider before selecting your own programming laptop. The kind of specs needed for a graphics laptop is different from that of a program. As a programmer, you need a strong laptop with very strong software and one that is fast in processing. A laptop that can process all your codes as you are writing them is what you really need. They must have the best processors which is the main thing you must consider. Most of the laptops you see today are more focused on core, threads and speed, but what you really need to focus on in a programming laptop is the silicon.
Things to consider before choosing a programming laptop
To find the ideal laptop for programming might be a tough choice everyone might not be able to take. You have to be careful with your choice of laptop because it may leave you frustrated whenever you start programming. As a programmer, your laptop specs can make or mar your programming career. Choosing a gaming laptop also requires one to make the right choice but the matter of choice is not as important as that of a programming laptop. You can easily get confused while checking for the laptop that best suits your needs.
- RAM: The RAM is a very important factor every laptop purchaser must consider before buying their laptop. As a programmer, you need at least 8GB RAM to make programming experience. You can also use a 4GB RAM for programming, but no serious programming can be done on a RAM that is less than 4GB. If you wish to enjoy programming to the fullest, don’t settle for anything less than 8GB. They may be more expensive than 4GB RAM, but they are definitely worth it. As time goes by, you might need to reconsider the 8GB RAM because of some powerful Electron apps which tend to consume large amount of RAM.
- CPU: The CPU or processor is another very important aspect one must consider when choosing a programming laptop. The CPU speed has a huge importance in gaming. The CPU has a major influence on the performance of your laptop while programming so you can’t afford to make a mistake on this one. There are different types of processors you will find in the market today, but the best for programming is anything between core i5 and core i9 with a frequency of 3GHz. These are processors with good speed and are enjoyable.
- Storage: The storage is also another core factor one should consider. A 250GB ROM should be enough, but as technology goes further, there tends to be need for improvement is some aspects and that may also include the storage space needed for certain types of programming. If you have more money, go for 512GB or 1TB. If the price is one thing you might be afraid of, you may then opt for 250GB and extend using an external hard drive.
- Keyboard: Since you will be doing most of your programming on your keyboard, you must not neglect this hardware as it is a very important factor to consider before choosing a programming laptop. If you will be working without light or where the light is dim, you need a back-lit keyboard. Some laptops come with keyboard light underneath and this is exactly what you need. However, there are some programmers prefer a more compact keyboard and keyboard which don’t have too much spaces between the keys. Many Asus gaming laptops come with this feature and that is why many people prefer them over dell gaming laptops.
- Portability: There are programmers who travel a lot and they need to consider the size of their laptop as an important factor before purchasing it. You need a laptop that can easily fit into your bag and will be stress-free when carrying it around. Any laptop with less than 15inches will be good for you. If you are the type that will be doing most of your programming at home, the portability is of little or no importance. One thing you should know is that many of these portable laptops cannot stand what a 15inch laptop can do. Most big laptops are better for programming and multitasking.
- Display: The screen of your laptop stands as the display and it is one of the most important factors to consider before choosing a programming laptop. I would say you should avoid the touch screen laptops even if they look more attractive and you may like the. You don’t really need them and they can be a pain in the ass when they develop fault. So please, for the sake of your programming career, avoid using a touch screen laptop unless you can really manage it.
- Battery Life: Did you think I will miss out on this? The battery life is as important as every other factor here, except when you are always plugged-in to a power supply. If you are the type that carries your laptop around to a mall, meeting or anywhere, you might not find a socket to plug your laptop. There are some laptops that can last only one hour while there are some that can last eight good hours. The kind of laptop you choose depends on how often you plug in your laptop.
Having said all these, you already know what to buy in the market, right? Well, that does not mean we won’t suggest some amazing laptops for you.
Best Programming Laptops
1. Toshiba Portege Z30-c- 138 If you are a fan of laptops, you must have heard of the kind of mighty power Toshiba laptops have . They are considered to be one of the strongest laptops in the world and can perform different functions. Well, this Toshiba is not an exclusion. In fact, it is topping our list of bets programming laptops in the world. You can get it on Amazon and many other ecommerce sites. It has a core i7 processor, 512GB of storage space, and 16GB RAM. According to all the factors we mentioned, this laptop is the perfect one for you.
2. Lenovo Thinkpad E470 The Lenovo thinkpad is a portable laptop which has all the specs you need. It has a screen size of 14 inches, 16GB RAM, core i7 processor and 256GB storage. It is also an affordable laptop and one which you will definitely enjoy programming with. This laptop also has a good display with the finest resolution you need in a graphics laptop. Lenovo really did well with the manufacture of this laptop. Portability and all these specs are not easy to find. If you are the type that has been searching for the best portable laptop for programming, this is the best.
3. HP 255 G5
This HP laptop is said to be the best HP laptop in the world for programming. It has a 4GB RAM, 1TB of storage, and has a fast processor. HP laptops are usually portable except this one which has a screen size of 15.6 inches This is considered as an entry level business laptop which is also very good for programming. It is also affordable and cheaper than what you will expect.
4. 13-inch MacBook Air When you see MacBook anywhere, you expect it to be very expensive but we can never neglect the features of apple laptops. The 13-inch macbook is such an amazing laptop that it has been made to be portable and also contains all the important features you can ever ask for in a gaming a laptop. Dual-core intel core i5, 8GB-16GB RAM, 128GB-1.5TB. It is thinner, lighter and offers you maximum productivity.
5. MacBook Pro: This is the 15 inch laptop made in mid 2018. This laptop from apple is a state-of-the-art kind. It has a 6-core intel core i7 processor, 16-32GB RAM, 512GB-4TB storage and also holds one of the best graphics in a laptop. The only turn off in this laptop is the price. If there is anything to expect from an apple laptop, it is the expensive price.
So there you have it. A list of some of the best programming laptops in the world. You can be rest assured that these laptops will surely make programming better for you. They all have all the desired features one can ever wish for and many of them are multipurpose.